The Montserrat Tour
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Barcelona, Catalonia
- Product code: DT-Montserrat
The mountain of Montserrat is situated 45km northwest of Barcelona. This multi-peaked mountain is also a unique Natural Park plenty of shapes, caves, stairs and paths. You can enjoy wonderful views from the top of it as well as its own weird shapes and rounded peaks. A unique visit!
Montserrat is a Benedictine monastery nearly 1000 years old where you can find the Black Madonna, also known as La Moreneta, which represents the patron saint of Catalonia. This figure is very popular because in honour of her, Gregorian chants will be signing every day.
Montserrat is thriving with culture: paintings, gold lamps, decorated chapels and so on. You will have about 2 hours in the Sanctuary of Montserrat, combining an orientation tour with some free time to see the black Madonna, the basilica, the museum, restaurants or the local shops.
The guide will give explanations outside the basilica as silence must be kept inside it. You'll be shown the Lady's Chapel of the 12th Century figure of the Lady of Montserrat.
Tour members will have free time to dedicate to the aspects of this beautiful and spiritual place that attract them most.
- DURATION: 4 hours, from 3 PM until 7 PM (Please note, this tour starts at 3.15PM from 1 April to 2 November).
- The tour is only in English making it easier for you to follow the whole story.
- If you don’t have a whole day to visit Montserrat this is your tour: you can visit Barcelona in the morning and see Montserrat in the afternoon
- Afternoon is also best because there are less people in Montserrat than in the morning
- Montserrat – serrated mountain
- Spectacular views
- La Moreneta – Black Madonna
- Picturesque drive up to Montserrat (about an hour from Barcelona)
- Roomy and air conditioned bus with big windows
- About an hour free time to roam on your own
What's not included
- Funicular, track railway or cable car.
- The Boys’ Choir.
- Food and drinks.
- This tour involves some walking so wear comfortable shoes.
- Dress a bit warmer for Montserrat, it is colder than the city.
- Silence must be kept inside the church so the guide will give all the explanations outside.
- This is not a wheelchair accessible tour.